Shiloh Baptist Church is the fourth oldest black church in Hartford. The church was organized in 1889, as a result of a split in the membership of the Union Baptist Church of Hartford. There were two groups of members who wanted to be known as Union Baptist. However, one of the groups was successful in getting a charter from the State before the other group arrived. Thus the late group organized themselves as the Shiloh Baptist Church. This began the spiritual journey of our church home.
In 1889, a group of faithful Christians held their first meeting at the home of Sister Lucy Roy on Albany Avenue. It was at this time that they decided to form a new religious body. Since they had no permanent church home at this time, they met in various places such as Green Hall on Albany Avenue, a Hall on Asylum Avenue, and a similar Hall on Church Street. The body was then recognized by a council at the Church Street Hall and was set aside as a regular organized Baptist Church. Twenty-two Christians made up the membership at that time. Since that time ten pastors have led this congregation (including the present pastor). Over the years Shiloh has been a beacon of hope in the Greater Hartford Community. Shiloh continues this legacy today rising to meet the challenges of this present age.